Friday, September 25, 2009

because nothing spreads joy like mock piracy

As most of you already know, I'm strangely obsessed with pirates. Although I never need a reason to fill my weekend with piratey goodness, I've discovered you get more people to join you if there is one. Good thing someone created International Talk Like a Pirate Day.  I planned a party, which is fine and great and pirate parties are fun and blah blah blah.  But Charlie had the genius idea to have a raft regatta before the party!  So we celebrated by building rafts, except the viking who built a boat... because he's a viking and he can, I suppose.  


I hatched a plan and persuaded a crewmate to sail a fridge with me.  Fridges float.  I see them floating by my house all the time, usually with a bunch of kids climbing on them.  But then I realized that I had island connections!  So instead of a fridge, I was able to get my hands on bamboo and plastic jerry cans.  It seemed like a slightly more reliable set of supplies for water transportation than a discarded refrigerator.  One that would ensure I actually keep my crewmate on my team and, more importantly, alive.




We set off and everyone stayed afloat!





 


We claimed Coconut Island.  Then we sailed around to the back of the peninsula.  And after the raft building, we parrrtied!!






Dr. Mike even brought a pinata so the kids could let out their pirate angst.  It was excellent planning ahead - especially by a guy who has no children.


4 comments:

Ryan said...

FSM will bless you with his noodly appendage for increasing the number of pirates and, thus, combating global warming: http://www.venganza.org/about/open-letter/

Rachel said...

Ryan and I were contemplating dressing like pirates for halloween and making Dash a parrot. Unfortunately we can't find a parrot costume that meets our unreachable-infant-halloween-costume-standards. If only I were crafty and could make one myself. Yeah right!

Love that you guys built rafts.

Julia said...

Ryan, I wrote a pirate poem invitation and linked to that letter on the FSM website - I love it!

Rachel, I so wish you guys could dress Dash as a parrot for Halloween and go as pirates. That would be awesome!!

Mary said...

The party looked like a blast! I think the rafts are the coolest idea.